The Municipal Enforcement Section is a team of Community Peace Officers (CPO) appointed by the Alberta Solicitor General and Minister of Public Security. Working closely with the Medicine Hat Police Service, Municipal Bylaw Enforcement works to educate and ensure compliance with City Bylaws and select Provincial Statutes.
Municipal Enforcement is responsible for:
- Traffic Enforcement
- Parking Control
- Community Standards
- Domestic Animal and Pet Control
- Dangerous Snake Apprehension and Relocation
- Weed Control and Property Standards
- Homeless Encampment Control
- Noise Enforcement
- Found Property
- Oversize Load Escorts
- Subpoena and Summons Service
- Criminal Code Fingerprinting
Community Peace Officers are scheduled for various shifts through the week as well as weekends and statutory holidays. All calls are responded to in a timely manner, within 48 hours.
A proper investigation and follow-up will begin when you provide your name, address, contact information, as well as the needed information for the concern you have.
- Date/time/duration of the event
- What the event/concern is
- Location of the event/concern
- Specific information such as the description of the vehicle and a license plate, description of the animal (breed, colour), type of noise, etc.
At times, the investigating officer will need you to produce a signed statement and may need you to attend court. If this is the case, the officer will inform you and explain the process. Your personal information is essential to investigations and is kept in the strictest confidence. The Freedom of Information and Privacy Act (FOIP) governs the collecting and dissemination of all personal information. If you are required to be a witness in a court proceeding, your legal name may be released to the defendant. For more information about FOIP Act visit https://www.alberta.ca/freedom-of-information-and-protection-of-privacy
Hours of operation:
- Office hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Community Peace Officer hours: 7:00 am to 10:00 pm alternating shifts
- Complaint Line 403-529-8481
- Supervisor Municipal Bylaw Enforcement 403-529-8436
To view information related to some of the common bylaws and access forms visit our Quick Links page.